Monday, April 12, 2010

wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come

Finally, the weather we were enjoying almost 3 weeks ago during spring has reached us here in Framingham! It's hard to believe that 17 FSC college students and myself were working for Habitat for Humanity that long ago. It feels like it was just yesterday that we were all waking up at 6 am for our 8:15am start at the Habitat for Humanity site. As each day makes us all a little bit farther from our experience in D.C. it makes us that much fonder of all our experiences that I know we all cherished so much. Whether it was the site-seeing, our hard work on the Habitat homes, or complaining of foot and back aches on our final days- I have faith that each and every one of us will never forget what an absolutely amazing experience FSC's Alternative Spring Break '10 was. What a feeling of accomplishment we all felt throughout the week! Some of my favorite parts of the trip were definitely the work we did (siding, drywall, painting), meeting some new roommates of mine and Angel's back at the hostel, the Smithsonian/seeing myself as a neanderthal, motivational mailboxes, and definitely all the laughs we shared with one another (it was most certainly a week full of laughs for sure).

Looking back on my time down in Washington D.C, I really can't help but smile. Upon my arrival back to Massachusetts, I was immediately asked by family and friends how the trip was. Like Kendra, I could never quite put my experience into words- I just felt that whatever I was going to say just wouldn't put the trip to justice. I remember specifically talking to my mother a few hours after my return and as she asked how everything was, I had come to the realization I really didn't have many words. But I did tell her something like this: My trip was completely unforgettable, it wasn't just the fact that I had made new friends and did great work and saw Washington D.C., it was the feelings I had. It was an amazing feeling that after long hard days, we all still had the motivation to make the best of our experience with one another and see the city. We were tired, stressed, and at points definitely had enough of each other but it most definitely clicked in each and everyone of our heads that we would never be able to experience this same opportunity again; at the same capacity, with the same people, these moments..ever again. And that's something I will NEVER forget.

Thank you to all of our sponsors, Angel- for encouraging me to go as a late addition, and most importantly the ASBers themselves! I wouldn't change you all for anything- thanks for such a great week.

Love you,

Rachel Keir
Class of 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment