Sunday, March 21, 2010

These are the things that matter now, so sing along.

This past week has definitely made it onto my list of amazing life experiences.

I could not be happier with the result of this year’s Alternative Spring Break. As one of the trip leaders it became a bit stressful prior to the trip, finishing up last minute details. However, my time spent in DC, within close quarters to 19 of the most unique and crazy individuals, seemed to end faster than I had expected. I suppose that’s how good thing’s in life go, they fly by.

Two trains to the site was all it took for us to start up the work day. Breaking into different groups (priming, painting, dry walling, and so on) didn't take too long due to the groups' eagerness to work. My first work day was with an absolutely fantastic AmeriCorps/Habitat worker named Dana, who showed us the ropes to patching, caulking and priming the outside of the house. Kendra, Sam, Kalina and myself were pros by the end of the first day--completing an entire side of the house!

The following day, after a night of fun out with the group, our priming group was back to work on the other sides of the house. For some reason, I found work more enjoyable when up high in the air. Whenever I had the chance I was either up on a ladder, high on the scaffolding, or making my way up on the roof! (All of which made people nervous due to my spastic tendencies.) Lunch time came around and we all sat around a picnic table, cute right? It was a great opportunity to rave about all of our hard work done on our projects. No matter how tired we all were by lunch time, we all couldn't wait to get back to work!

After two days of priming, I had to give up my dreams of a professional caulker for the life of drywalling. Six of us were in a group with one of the Habitat workers named Bart. Kendra, Lauren, Rachel, Emily, Beth and I spend many hours laboring on the top floor of one of the houses. Bart told us that the average for new volunteers was around 5-6 pieces of drywall, and we were able to finish 19 - in one day! (He also told me that I have experience dry-waller techniques.) The following day we were a group of 4 dry-wallers and we finished 22 pieces, leaving only a small bit of the floor left to be finished!

I could go a lot more into detail about our work days and sightseeing, but I doubt I'd be able to explain all of the them in words. Even a picture would have difficulty describing the funny, outrageous and memorable moments of the trip. Thanks to much of the group for their light-heartedness and ability to make anyone and everyone laugh, at even the most exhausting of times. A few certain people were able to turn the trip into a musical number at any given moment. (I can recall a few songs from Rent and Wicked, and even Aladdin...I'm also impressed by the fact that they got other train-goers to join in singing!)

The Amtrak, the Hostel, the intense and random "T" rides, in my opinion the small parts of the giant picture that the ASB group was able to make. Habitat for Humanity allowed myself, along with the rest of the group, to be a part of something greater than expected. We helped provide a better life for entire families, which in return provided us with better sense of living.

Thank you Habitat for making our early 5:30am mornings and 5 hours of sleep SO worth it. Thank you donors and to all of those who helped with fundraising efforts. Thank you Adam and Angel for putting up with all of our shenanigans. Thanks Kendra for being an amazing co-team leader and, of course, a thanks to the other 16 students who made this trip so wonderful, all of whom I will never forget.

:)

Julie Giebler
Class of 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment