Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Fun-Filled Week of Work and Play!

The night before leaving for South Station was when I began to appreciate where I was going for the next 6 days. My spring break would be spent working eight hour days to help build affordable homes for people in need. I got excited.

Volunteering for Habitat for Humanity was very eye-opening and offered an amazing experience that will never be forgotten. I met such wonderful people who truly love what they are doing. While on the work site I gained several skills in painting that I am certain my dad will be very proud of me for :). I got to work with Randy and the “Ace Team” painting walls (and people), listening to music, and just having fun. Working at the Habitat site has provided me with so many lasting memories, not only with building a home but with my fellow volunteers. During our lunch breaks we would have so many laughs that sometimes tears would start to roll down my cheeks. The Jiffy John was also another interesting portion of what we encountered while working, by doing the “eeny meeny miny moe” on what stall would be the cleanest and sturdiest.

Learning how heartfelt the motivation is behind Habitat for Humanity makes me want to come back every March to give a helping hand. After each work day I really felt like I had accomplished something, allowing me to feel a sense of satisfaction.

After our long days of hard work, we would shower and jump on the hectic metro for a night out in the city. Washington D.C. is absolutely beautiful. Watching the sunset and seeing the monuments glow under the clear night sky was just breathe taking. I was in awe.

Although we all go to the same school, many of us had never spoken or even met before. This trip allowed us to bond as the “ASBers” and honestly created many new friendships. We now share several inside jokes that only the twenty of us will get to laugh out loud about. Listening to Stephen yell Adam (“Ahhum”), following a fascinating tour guided by Joey, or pretending it is Angel’s birthday at the Hard Rock, will always bring a smile to each of our faces.

I am so thankful that I was a part of this heartfelt experience. There is no other place I would’ve rather been this past week. At 10:32pm my eyes feel heavy and my body is frail, yet I have the odd desire to wake up at 5:30am and do it all over again :)

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment